about the author
I was born in Mason City, Iowa, and grew up in a large family of seven children, two parents, and one bathroom.
When I was young I kept a diary (see below) but I never considered becoming a writer until I had four children of my own.
My first book took me two years to write. I juggled writing with my work as a middle-school Spanish teacher, my kids’ soccer games, and lots of family get-togethers.
other facts about me
- When I was little, I loved cats.
- I can’t swim (all those years of lessons wasted).
- I’ve been in a writer’s group for many years.
- I’ve never eaten sushi.
- Favorite book? To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
- Favorite old movie? Harvey, with Jimmy Stewart. Favorite line from that movie: “In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
- My childhood diary was filled with boring details. An example: “Had Girls Scouts today and watched Bonanza.” (I watched a lot of Bonanza). But writing in my diary did get me into the habit of writing every day. (A discipline that comes in handy to most writers).